Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dad's Burger Cake

Wednesday is my dad's birthday but since he works nights and we do family dinner on Sundays we decided that tonights dinner would be his birthday dinner. Then Wednesday we are going out to breakfast and next Saturday we are going out for dinner. So really we are going to be celebrating birthday week. I was in charge of making the cake and decided to make him a burger cake after seeing a few around the internet.


Burger Cake



I used a bit of each of the cakes I saw online to make my cake. I used 2 recipes from Crabapple Bakery recipe book. I used the basic vanilla cupcakes recipe and the basic chocolate cupcakes recipe. I split the vanilla batter into two cakes and then for the chocolate I just made half of the batter.



Burger Cake



The "mayo" was made from cream cheese icing and the "cheese" was made from fondant. This was my first time using fondant and it was a lot easier to use than I expected. Colouring of it was a bit of a pain because I only had liquid colouring. I think next time I make a fondant cake I will try and get colouring paste or possibly buy coloured fondant.


Burger Cake



For the "lettuce" and "tomato sauce" I made a batch of buttercream icing which I then split into two bowls and coloured with liquid colouring. The red icing took nearly half a bottle of colouring to get the right colour. For the "tomato sauce" I simply spread the icing over the chocolate cake but for the lettuce I piped it in a ruffle around the cake with a petal tip.


Burger Cake



I also used some fondant to make "sesame seeds". I just rolled a small amount of fondant into a ball then pinched one end to give it a seed shape. The fondant was slightly sitcky from being rolled so they stuck to the top of the cake quite easily.


Burger Cake


This is by far the coolest cake I have ever made! I had so much fun making it and dad loved it. Let me warn you though if you are going to make this cake you only need to cut the tiniest slivers to eat. There is so much cake and icing you can only eat a tiny piece at a time.

Burger Cake

And here is one last photo of dad and his cake. Happy Birthday week dad!




10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing!! :) I showed my OH too, and he was very impressed!
    Happy Birthday to your dad! :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's some cake!! looks brilliant though, I thought the "cheese" was real when i first seen it lol! well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Kat's dad.
    Wow that cake looks amazing! You are too clever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake is fantastic! Hope your Dad had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one awesome cake! Hope he had an awesome day. x Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome! That looks incredible! I have the Crabapple Bakery book too. I was just looking at it on the weekend.
    I've got to bake something for my niece's 4th birthday this weekend. I think I'm going to make banana whoopie pies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! You did an awesome job - and yep you should definitely get gel paste colours for fondant next time - much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing, amazing cake!! he must've been so blown away. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx