Monday, August 22, 2011

Pingu

Last night we had family dinner for mum's birthday and I of course brought the cake. Mum is a loves penguins so with the thanks of a little internet searching and inspiration I made this cake.

Mum's Pingu Cake

I call him Pingu! Isn't he the cutest? We didn't want to cut into him so we made dad do it.

Mum's Pingu Cake

On the inside he is 3 chocolate cakes layered with vanilla buttercream. I used a recipe from the Crabapple Cupcake book which is fast becoming my go to book for cake recipes. They just always work out perfectly. The only thing I have found with them is they take a little longer to cook than the book says and they always make more than the book says but hey I am not complaining. A few extra cupcakes is nothing to complain about!

Mum's Pingu Cake

The outside icing is chocolate buttercream tinted black with fondant accents. The hat was a pain in the proverbial to make and it was cracking and stuff in the back so that wasn't the best but it still looked good. I am so glad that mum loved him cause he was fun to make.

5 comments:

  1. My mum is a penguin lover also and I've been meaning to make her the penguin cake out of the new Women's Weekly kids cake book - maybe she'll get lucky this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO CUTE!
    Hehe I can totally understand not wanting to cut into it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, he's adorable :) You're so clever!
    xErin

    anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the cake queen, so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx