Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Watermelon Surprise Ensemble

DSC_0608 

I am so freaking excited to finally be able to share this outfit with you guys.  I got the idea for this outfit a few days before Christmas.  I bought the watermelon fabric from Spotlight a while ago and was always planning to turn it into a skirt but when I was going through my pattern stash before Christmas I decided to do something more.  This project is not, as you might assume, a skirt a top.  No my friends!  It is a skirt.................and a jumpsuit!!!

DSC_0613

Oh yeah! Isn't that the most awesome thing ever.  When I was going through my pattern stash before Christmas I came across this pattern and I realised that this watermelon fabric had to be paired with a green jumpsuit.  I was so excited to make it that I made Corey take me to Spotlight straight away so I could grab the green linen.  I cut into it as soon as I got home and started sewing.  Obviously, the sewing got put aside for Christmas day and while we went to Melbourne.  But as soon as I got home I picked it up again.  I finally got around to finishing it all last week and had planned to get Corey to take photos on the weekend.  But as I am sure you would have seen on the news we were hit by an horrendous amount of rain and gloom so I couldn't get any till this afternoon.

50s watermelon circle skirt 50s watermelon circle skirt

This watermelon print is just too much fun!  It might possibly be a little too kiddish but I love it anyway.  And so what if I am a grown woman wearing a bright pink watermelon print skirt.  I love it!  I used green buttons for a bit of contrast.  I love the green/pink combo.  I actually saw a really cool crochet blanket in green & pink the other day that I want to recreate.  But that is getting a bit off topic.  I also used the leftover green linen to make the pockets for another pop of colour.

DSC_0616

The jumpsuit is just as cute by itself as it is with the skirt.  I actually think I will get more wear out of this by itself rather than with the skirt.  It is just so summery and fun and I can't go past a good jumpsuit.  Plus I don't really love how it gets all bunchy at the top when paired with the skirt.  But that is the only downside to this outfit.  Everything else I love so I can deal with that!

19 comments:

  1. Well this is a bit cute Kat! Very you and I'm in awe of your sewing skills :-) New hair colour too, very summery all around. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great outfit, I love the watermelon print and you basically get 2 outfits in one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat, what a great outfit! Can I ask what pattern it is? I love the colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both items were from a vintage mail order pattern number 4697. For some reason the link isn't showing in my post properly.

      Delete
  4. So cool! I was not expecting the green top to be a jumpsuit in the first photo. Love the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute color combo. The jumpsuit turned out really well--it's very flattering. What pattern did you use? It's just too cute! I love the collar, too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both items were from a vintage mail order pattern number 4697. For some reason the link isn't showing in my post properly.

      Delete
  6. That skirt is just too much fun! So fresh and summery! And how comfy does that jumpsuit look? Awesome for summer :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat you look phenomenal! Are you sure you just had a baby? That jumpsuit and skirt combo is rockin'! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look great and love the fabrics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god, that is sooooo cute! Just discovered your blog through Sew Retro.
    I love watermelon fabric. Here's my watermelon dress: http://sewelle-noelle.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/its-spring.html
    Noelle xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg! That skirt is just way too cute!! I love it! You look absolutely smashing Kat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Both items were from a vintage mail order pattern number 4697. For some reason the link isn't showing in my post properly.

      Delete
  12. That is a "smile out loud" outfit! If I was to happen upon you in the street I would chase after you and tell you how fabulous you look (in a non-creepy way of course!). So summery and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it babes! Great hair, great fabrics! How the HELL are you finding the time to sew! OMG

    ReplyDelete
  14. no other words here but OMG AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx