Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Anna's Giant Cupcake

This past weekend was my adorable work friend Anna's 30th birthday.  We went out for a lovely lunch and she asked me to make her a birthday cake.  Her request was for a giant cupcake with a cherry on top.  I jumped at the chance as I have had the wilton giant cupcake tin for a few years but have only used it once.

Anna's 30th Birthday Cake

I made the cake out of chocolate mudcake.  To make sure both portions were cooked evenly I filled the bottom half first and baked it for 15 minutes. Then I filled the top half and baked it for the remaining time.  Because the bottom half is a bit bigger this ensured that both halves cooked the same.

Anna's 30th Birthday Cake

To give a real cupcake look I left the bottom half bare.  The top half was iced with buttercream icing which I tinted with sky blue gel colouring.  The cherry was made out of fondant and had a small piece of green wire in the top for a stem.  I was pretty excited to also get the chance to use my giant sprinkles.  I bought these ages ago just because I thought they were cute and this is the first time I have used them. I think I need to make some more giant cupcakes so I can use them again!

Anna's 30th Birthday Cake

The chocolate mudcake recipe I used for this cake is a new one to me.  I got it from the Planet Cake book and I am so happy I tried it out.  Everyone raved about it!  Even my sister liked it and she is hard to please when it comes to chocolate cake.  I am going to be lazy though and instead of typing the recipe out I am going to direct you over here where you can grab the recipe.  Be sure to let me know if you try it and what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx