Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Top 5 Misses of 2013


It's that time again when we all start to reflect on how the past year played out and what we would like to achieve in the coming year.  Gillian over at Crafting A Rainbow is running her top 5 series again and I thought it would be the perfect way to round out the year.  First up is my top 5 misses!

1 -  Sew for Victory Blouse

Basically this top just isn't a style that I would usually wear.  It was made on a whim as I wanted something to go with the skirt I was making for the sewalong.  I skirt I love! I have always wanted a suspender skirt so this was the perfect opportunity to make one.  Unfortunately for the top impulse making made me choose a pattern that just wasn't me.

2 - Tessuti Dress

Now this dress failed purely from my own stubbornness and laziness.  Firstly, I decided I wanted to make a summer dress before the fabric arrived.  When it arrived it was much thicker than I was expecting and not entirely suited to this style of dress.  Alas I made it anyway because I'm stubborn like that!  Secondly, I was too lazy to muslin the bodice and therefore ended up with a shelf bust that didn't fit me well at all.  Total fail!


3 - Knitted Heart Dress

Ok so I actually quite like this jumper but the problem is it is way too big! Don't be fooled by the photo.  I had strategically placed the excess to the back.  Halfway through making this I thought it seemed a bit big but I pushed through anyway. I should have trusted my instincts because it ended up a shapeless sack that I just don't wear.


4 - Green Jumpsuit

I was quite bummed when this one didn't work out! I was really excited when making it but I just couldn't get the shaping right.  I liked it but I didn't love it!  Every time I wore it I felt 10kgs heavier so it got relegated to the back of the wardrobe.


5 - Vintage Blouse

And lastly, another make that was simply a fail because it just wasn't my style.  I think I need to go through my pattern stash and pull some things out.  There are patterns in there I feel I should make simply because I have had them so long.  However, most of them have been sitting there because I don't love the styles.  I think a stash clear out is in order to avoid more misses like this blouse in the future!


So the main lessons I learnt from these misses:-

  • Make a muslin when you are making a pattern with a new to you shape!
  • Fabric suggestions on patterns are there for a reason! Too heavy fabric will kill a soft summer dress.
  • Don't be hasty in choosing patterns! Make sure they are a style that will suit my shape and my lifestyle.
  • Trust my instincts!  If something doesn't look right it probably isn't.  Take the time to investigate further instead of just pushing on.
  • Just because I liked a pattern once upon a time doesn't mean it is actually my style now.  Impulse purchases can lead to sewing fails!

Since having Imogen I have found that my style has changed quite a bit.  Where I used to be drawn to a lot of vintage styles from the 1940's or 50's I now find I am more drawn to casual looks with 70's or boho influences.  I still love a good 50's silhouette for parties and going out but on a day to day basis I have definitely become more casual.  I don't mind the misses though.  I have learnt something from all of them not only about sewing but also about how my style has evolved.  These lessons will help me sew more wearable garments in 2014!

Have you had many sewing misses this year? And if so, have you learnt anything from them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I love responding to all comments and do so via email. If you email is not visible in your blogger profile please make sure you leave it in your comment. Kat xx